Podcasts in the Library

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.

Podcasts are becoming more and more popular.  I believe many people would rather listen than read!  I feel less distracted when I listen to a podcast over reading the same information in a blog post.  I tend to go down a rabbit hole and click on all the things, and the next thing I know, I've been scrolling for hours!   

For this post, I am going to talk about three different podcast platforms.  I'll focus on a few features but mostly their ease of use.  I know teachers love to use podcasts with student performance tasks, so something students can access and use quickly and easily is a big part of my why behind this post. Podcasts can also be used in the library to discuss hot topics, book talks, or even interview other librarians in your district to see what they have going on in their library.  It is also a way to do "learning walks" without even leaving your campus!

First up, Podbean

My first experience making a podcast was through Podbean.  I absolutely loved it and thought that it was straightforward to use.  I love that it is accessible through a website or a phone app.  Students can sign in through google and get 15 minutes of air time for free.  If this is used as a student tool, 15 minutes is plenty of time for them to record a book talk, reflection, or show what they know for a quick assessment.  There is an option to upgrade, but you really do get all you need to create a podcast with this free version!

Next, Anchor

And now, my second experience with making a podcast is through Anchor by Spotify.  This is a new one for me, and I was so surprised by how quickly I could jump right in to start adding to and editing a preexisting podcast.  When working on a podcast with a group, this is a great option because you can each record your own section and then edit placement.  With Anchor, you can create your podcast, host it online and distribute it to other listening platforms.  All for free!  
Lastly, GarageBand

As with many types of new technology and any kind of new learning, there are tutorials on the web that really dig deep and walk you through perfecting anything you want to perfect.  After researching GarageBand, I discover some amazing step-by-step tutorials on how to work with this app.  Although GarageBand is only accessible through Apple, if your media center has access to iPads, this could be an amazing option for students to record, edit, mix, and export podcast episodes.  It is user-friendly and allows students to get creative on many levels. 

For this blog post, I had an amazing opportunity to collaborate with two librarians in different districts.  We were able to put together a podcast and talk about the importance of MakerSpace and how to continue to challenge our students in the times of COVID. I also think we could all agree that Anchor by Spotify will be a go-to podcast platform!

Listen here:

Take a listen to a few educational podcasts that I love!

The RechargED Podcast by Prosper ISD Instructional Technology Coaches and Librarian Influencers by Dr. Laura Sheneman

At the moment, I have a fairly short commute, so I haven't built up a long list yet. However, these two podcasts impact me, so I very much enjoy them and learn from them! 

Comments

  1. Hello Crystal,

    I love to listen instead of read. You can get a lot of other things done while you listen to what you are interested in. I love how your group created a podcast about preserving makerspace through COVID-19.

    -Lorina Ramirez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Crystal.

    I found it interesting that you said you find yourself less distracted listening to podcasts than reading blog posts, because I am the opposite. However, I do enjoy listening to podcasts more than I thought I would. Your group’s podcast on preserving Makerspaces in the face of Covid was a great listen. It was a brilliant topic to cover and very informative.

    Blessings, Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you included this topic into your blog post. It is very interesting how people can turn down a podcast only because they think it is not worthy like a concrete copy. Very simple details on the tools which were great and a very informative podcast.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment