Universal Design for Learning

Universal Design for Learning is all about teachers meeting curriculum goals for each student, regardless of how diverse the group is.  Each person learns uniquely; therefore, the curriculum needs to be designed to meet their uniqueness.  As teachers and librarians, we need to provide unique learning opportunities for each student and provide them with various ways to represent their learning. 

Principle I. Provide Multiple Means of Representation

    Guideline 1: Provide options for perception

Something I am doing with my students now:

  • Checkpoint 1.1 – Offer ways of customizing the display of information
  • Checkpoint 1.3 - Offer alternatives for visual information 
Something I can implement right away:
  • Checkpoint 1.2 - Offer alternatives for auditory information 
    Guideline 2: Provide options for language, mathematical expressions, and symbols

Something I am doing with my students now:
  • Checkpoint 2.1 - Clarify vocabulary and symbols
  • Checkpoint 2.2 - Clarify syntax and structure
  • Checkpoint 2.3 - Support decoding of text, mathematical notation, and symbols 
Something I can implement right away: 
  • Checkpoint 2.5 - Illustrate through multiple media
Looks great but could use some help implementing:
  • Checkpoint 2.4 - Promote understanding across languages
    Guideline 3: Provide options for comprehension

Something I am doing with my students now:
  • Checkpoint 3.1 - Activate or supply background knowledge
  • Checkpoint 3.2 - Highlight patterns, critical features, big ideas, and relationships 
Something I can implement right away:
  • checkpoint 3.4 - Maximize transfer and generalization
Looks great but could use some help implementing:
  • Checkpoint 3.3 - Guide information processing, visualization, and manipulation
Principle II. Provide Multiple Means of Action and Expression 

    Guideline 4: Provide options for physical action

Something I am doing with my students now:
  • Checkpoint 4.1 - Vary the methods for response and navigation
Looks great but could use some help implementing:
  • Checkpoint 4.2 - Optimize access to tools and assistive technologies
    Guideline 5: Provide options for expression and communication

Something I am doing with my students now:

    • Checkpoint 5.1 - Use multiple media for communication
    • Checkpoint 5.2 - Use multiple tools for construction and composition
    Something I can implement right now:

    • Checkpoint 5.3 - Build fluencies with graduated levels of support for practice and performance
        Guideline 6: Provide options for executive functions

    Something I am doing with my students now:
    • Checkpoint 6.1 - Guide appropriate goal-setting
    • Checkpoint 6.2 - Support planning and strategy development
    • Checkpoint 6.3 - Facilitate managing information and resources
    Something I can implement right now:
    • Checkpoint 6.4 - Enhance capacity for monitoring progress
    III. Provide Multiple Means of Engagement

        Guideline 7: Provide options for recruiting interest

    Something I am doing with my students now:
    • Checkpoint 7.1 - Optimize individual choice and autonomy
    • Checkpoint 7.2 - Optimize relevance, value, and authenticity
    • Checkpoint 7.3 - Minimize threats and distractions
        Guideline 8: Provide options for sustaining effort and persistence 

    Something I am doing with my students now:
    • Checkpoint 8.1 - Heighten salience of goals and objectives 
    Something I can implement right now:
    • Checkpoint 8.2 - Vary demands and resources to optimize challenge
    • Checkpoint 8.3 - Foster collaboration and community 
    Looks great, but  I could use some help implementing:
    • Checkpoint 8.4 - Increase mastery-oriented feedback
        Guideline 9: Provide options for self-regulation

    Something I am doing with my students now:
    • Checkpoint 9.1 - Promote expectations and beliefs that optimize motivation
    • Checkpoint 9.2 - Facilitate personal coping skills and strategies
    • Checkpoint 9.3 - Develop self-assessment and reflection
    I have been out of a classroom for several years.   So I decided to reflect on what I do in the library and when I collaborate with teachers.  I surprised myself because the checklist attached to UDL is quite long and in-depth, but we already work to include these checkpoints in the natural ways of teaching and designing lessons. The area of growth and improvement for implementing UDL guidelines comes from the technology standpoint.  I have learned so much through my Digital Technology course at SHSU that I believe with a little time and guidance, I can implement some of the checkpoints more often. 

    References
    CAST. (2010). UDL at a glance. YouTube. https://youtu.be/bDvKnY0g6e4
    The UDL guidelines. (2021, April 09). Retrieved May 06, 2021, from https://udlguidelines.cast.org/

    Comments